Friday, December 4, 2009

Only 4 of 10 Pinoys know how poll automation works


Original Story:

SIX in 10 Filipinos have little or almost no knowledge of the automated election system that will be implemented in May 2010, the October 22-30 Pulse Asia survey showed.

The survey, which had 1,800 respondents, showed that 40 percent of Filipinos know very little about the automated polls while 21 percent had almost no knowledge of the new system.

Only 13 percent know a lot about poll automation and 26 percent said they know enough.

The lowest public awareness on poll automation was registered in the Visayas with 73 percent (47 percent little knowledge and 26 percent almost none or no knowledge) followed by Mindanao (36 percent little knowledge and 27 percent almost none/no knowledge).

In Luzon, 57 percent know very little or nothing about the automated system while lack of awareness accounted for 54 percent in Metro Manila.

As expected, public awareness on the automated system was highest in Metro Manila with 47 percent, followed by Luzon with 43 percent, Mindanao with 38 percent, and the Visayas with only 28 percent.

Among the socioeconomic classes, the elite Class ABC naturally has the highest awareness level (53 percent knowledgeable vs. 48 percent with almost no knowledge). The awareness level is the same for the masa Class D and the poor Class E (38 percent knowledgeable vs. 62 percent with almost no knowledge).

Despite the lack of awareness, four in 10 Filipinos (40 percent) believe that the automatic counting of votes will result in clean elections and credible results. Around 43 percent are undecided regarding automation’s possible effect on the May 2010 elections.

Sixty-seven percent said there is a big possibility that the May 2010 elections will push through, but 49 percent warned that there would be much trouble if the polls are canceled.

Almost half of the respondents (49 percent) are inclined to support protests but not to join protests if the May elections are canceled. Only 10 percent said they will participate in the protests.

Sixty-four percent believe that public school teachers will perform their duties as election inspectors with impartiality, while 65 percent said they are capable of managing the automated election system.

The same survey also showed that Filipinos consider their church or religious group as the most credible endorser of the candidate that they should vote for.

Around 11 percent said they would "surely vote for" the aspirant endorsed by their church while 41 percent said they would "probably vote for" the one backed by their religious group or, a total of 52 percent. Around 43 percent are "surely/probably not voting" for a presidential candidate endorsed by their church or religious group.

Next to the church in terms of endorsing power is actress/television host Kris Aquino, with 8 percent of Filipinos "sure" to follow her choice and 37 percent saying they would "probably" vote for the one she will endorse, or a total of 45 percent.

Aquino and her family are actively campaigning for her brother, Liberal Party standard bearer Sen. Benigno Aquino III. But 49 percent said they will surely or probably not vote for anyone endorsed by Kris Aquino.

Television host Willie Revillame has a 37 percent endorsement power, with 6 percent saying they will "surely" vote for the one he will endorse and 31 percent saying they will "probably" follow his prodding.

Revillame is a supporter of Nacionalista Party standard bearer Sen. Manuel Villar Jr. However, 58 percent said they are not likely to heed Revillame’s endorsement.

Thirty-six percent said they will vote for anyone who will be endorsed by former president Joseph Estrada while 59 percent said they will not.

Boxing icon Manny Pacquiao has more endorsement power (21 percent) compared to President Arroyo (15 percent).

However, 71 percent said they are not likely to vote for Pacquiao’s endorsed candidates while 79 percent they will not vote for Arroyo’s bets.

Original Story:

No comments:

Post a Comment