October 31, 2009 09:12:00
MANILA, Philippines – The Commission on Elections extended to Tuesday the nationwide voters’ registration, an official of the poll body said Saturday.
The Comelec is drafting an advisory to be disseminated to all regional directors, said Commissioner Rene Sarmiento.
Earlier on Saturday, Comelec Chairman Jose Melo said the extension was only for residents in areas hit by power outages caused by typhoon “Santi” (international codename: Mirinae).
The Comelec’s deadline for the registration of voters for the 2010 elections was this Saturday, October 31.
In a phone interview, Melo said regional election directors in these affected areas were notified of the administrative order that was issued Saturday morning allowing residents to enlist initially and then continue the rest of the process of registration on Tuesday when electricity was expected to be restored.
Because of the power outage, the Comelec could not use the data processing machines that would have processed the prospective voter’s biometrics or signature, fingerpint, and photo to validate his or her registration.
“The voter will have to enlist at the Comelec office so that he or she can be given a registration form and then come back on Tuesday for the rest of the processing. This means that the applicant will pass through stage one of the verification process,” said Melo in Filipino.
Melo said that on Tuesday, registration will start from 8 a.m. to 12 midnight.