Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Escudero to announce candidacy even without Legarda

October 27, 2009 20:51:00
Philip Tubeza
Philippine Daily Inquirer


MANILA, Philippines—After several delays, Sen. Francis Escudero is to finally announce his intention to run for President under the Nationalist People's Coalition on Wednesday but his would-be running-mate and party colleague, Sen. Loren Legarda, was “not expected” to attend, members of his campaign team said.

The campaign team sent out a media advisory Tuesday saying that Escudero will make a “very important political announcement” at 10 a.m. Wednesday at Club Filipino in San Juan instead of a previously scheduled 6 p.m. event at the Bahay ng Alumni at the University of the Philippines in Diliman, Quezon City.

“Yes, he's running. This was scheduled before but we postponed it due to the typhoons that htit he country,” said Angelito Banayo, Escudero's campaign manager.

However, Legarda said that she was not even informed of Wednesday’s event.

“I was surprised. I didn't know. I wasn't told. I wasn't texted,” Legarda said, adding that these developments have to be discussed by the party.

“I will hold a presscon about politics when I get the real story. How can I react when nothing's official yet,” she added.

“I am declared and decided to run (for vice president) because of the Filipino people. My declaration (last week) is not based on a person or a party but on the public,” Legarda said.

“It's based on my platform that was very clear. I don't think it's not presumptuous to say that I'm the one who produced a platform that was clear,” she said.

“The other presidential aspirants or candidates for vice president were busy declaring or withdrawing but I focused on coming out with my platform. Platform first before running (for office),” she added.

Lagarda admitted that she has not talked to Escudero recently but she dismissed as “speculation” reports that her fellow senator was upset with her reported negotiations with other presidential aspirants.

“I don't know so I cannot answer that,” she said, when asked if the Escudero-Legarda tandem was still on.

However, a member of Escudero's campaign confirmed that the senator was “hurt” by Legarda's actions indicating that she was open to teaming up with non-NPC presidential candidates.

“She's a party member and so she should fall in line with its decision but Loren's making herself available to all corners,” said a campaign member who requested anonymity.

The source said Escudero was going to speak with businessman Eduardo “Danding” Cojuangco, the NPC chair, and other party top honchos late Tuesday about Legarda and other issues.

The question of a running mate "is an open issue as far as Chiz is concerned," the source said, adding that Legarda "is not expected" at Club Filipino.

The campaign official said Escudero's possible running mates include Tourism Secretary Ace Durano, Grace Poe, and even Makati Mayor Jejomar Binay, if Binay's presidential running-mate, Joseph Estrada, is disqualified.


Source: http://politics.inquirer.net/view.php?db=1&article=20091027-232591

No comments:

Post a Comment