Friday, November 20, 2009

Jinggoy junks NP slate (Officially withdraws signature in resolution clearing Villar)


By Angie M. Rosales
11/21/2009


Just as the standard bearer of Nacionalista Party, Sen. Manuel Villar Jr., was introducing before the public his latest “recruit” for the NP senatorial slate, another “guest candidate” was announcing his decision to reject the NP presidentiable candidate’s offer.

Senate President Pro Tempore Jinggoy Estrada yesterday said at a press conference that he was junking Villar’s offer to have him included among the NP’s “guest” senatorial candidates.

“I have sent him a letter to inform him of my decision that I have to decline the offer. I cannot accept their invitation because it is my credibility that is at stake here. Besides, I have my own

party where the presidential candidate
is no less than my father (former) President Joseph Estrada,” he said.

Estrada’s announcement came exactly at the same time as Villar’s presentation of Ilocos Norte Rep. Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. (2nd District) as guest senatorial candidate along with the alliance of the latter’s Kilusang Bagong Lipunan (KBL).

Marcos’ entry to Villar’s camp, however, was also met with a “junking” in the senatorial line-up of Estrada’s Partido ng Masang Pilipino (PMP).

Former Senate president, Ambassador Ernesto Maceda disclosed this PMP’s junking of Marcos, as he appeared in the same press conference with the younger Estrada.

“He (Marcos) used to be on our list but apparently, he has decided to go with Villar. He had wanted to be our guest candidate at the same time. But we decided, he will not be included in our list,” Maceda said.

Senator Estrada’s decision stemmed from the controversy stirred by his signing of Senate resolution 1472 effectively seeking to absolve Villar from the charges of questionable funding of the C5 road extension project.

While there were talks that some senators allegedly received P10 million in exchange for their signatures, it was also reported that they were misled into believing that the resolution would be filed after a committee report on the C5 probe would have been made.

In his formal letter to Villar, Estrada said he was “saddened by recent developments,” referring to the premature filing of the resolution, which he called a breach of their agreement and the “acrimonious exchanges, attacks and counter-attacks in media of senators.

“There are attacks that I can take in stride as part of the political terrain. But there are those that I cannot just ignore because they do not only assault my personal integrity but beyond that, these attacks unjustly injure and compromise the integrity and political position of my own father and the PMP, the party which my father founded and built through many years of hard work and genuine dedication to advance the cause of the Filipino masses,” he said in his four-page letter.

“Our party, the Partido ng Masang Pilipino, will be fielding not only its own senatorial slate but congressional and local candidates nationwide, with no less than my father, President Estrada as its standard bearer.

“But when you extended the invitation for me to be a guest candidate of the NP, I responded with all humility and expressed my gratitude to you and to the NP for your kind gesture of support. I might have been a bit naive not to have anticipated that some quarters will use this to sow intrigue against me in an attempt to undermine my own father’s candidacy.

“Given all the unfair accusations and the serious damage to me, my father and the PMP, resulting from the breach of the only caveat or condition I asked for, I trust that you will understand my decision to withdraw my signature from the resolution if only to set the record straight about my sincerity, good intentions and pure motives and to disabuse the minds of those who may fall for the widespread lies being sown by people who have everything to gain and nothing to lose by exploiting this issue,” Senator Estrada added.

“We are still on good terms. I respect him as one of my colleagues here in the Senate. I still value him as a dear friend,” he said to reporters.

Villar, in an interview with reporters at the NP headquarters Laurel House in Shaw Blvd., Mandaluyong City where he presented Marcos, said he also respects Estrada’s decision.

“I have only but high regard for him. We would want him to be part of our party but if not, it’s okay with us. I believe that we are still good friends and will continue to be good friends. I believe in his capabilities and whatever decision he makes, we will respect it,” he said.

Villar said the issue has not affected his “friendship” even with the former president.

The offer to the senator was borne out of goodwill to the Estrada family, good relations and out of respect for them.

“If they choose not to accept it, we will not mind at all. I respect whatever decision they make. What is important to me (as far as Senator Estrada) is concerned, is their belief that I have not done anything wrong,” he said, referring to the ethics case against him. Villar, in presenting Marcos, also announced his party’s alliance with KBL which he identified to be headed by the congressman.

“I announce the alliance between Nacionalista Party and Kilusan ng Bagong Lipunan KBL, headed by its President, Rep. Bongbong Marcos. I am sure that some will focus on the fact that he is the son of a former President. That is not the reason I think he is qualified.

“His sterling record as a public servant and his commitment to fight poverty are the two most important reasons I think he will be a good legislator.

“There is no guarantee that we will always agree. That is also true with every single member and partner of the Nacionalista party. As a leader, I am not in the habit of surrounding myself with those who will simply suck up and say yes to my every word. I believe that differences in opinion contribute to sound policy.

“We can disagree, for as long as we are united in a common vision of providing our people with food on their table, jobs that will give them decent lives and education for their children’s future,” he said.

As this developed, detained Brig. Gen. Danilo Lim who previously was reported to be drafted as guest candidate of PMP, had formally accepted the offer of the Liberal Party (LP) to form part of its senatorial slate.

Upon hearing this news, Maceda said they will seek a meeting with Lim to clarify the issue.

“He was on our list from the very beginning but then, we will have to clarify with him what kind of stand he’ll take. Will he be endorsing Noynoy, will he be endorsing Erap Estrada or will he be neutral? As of now, he is on our list,” he said.

Lim’s name was already part of the LP senatorial list when the party held a meeting of its National Executive Council and National Directorate meeting last Nov.16 to formally nominate and choose candidates for President, Vice-President and senators last Monday.

The LP ticket will be bannered by LP chairman and former Senate President Franklin Drilon, along with Muntinlupa Rep. Ruffy Biazon, former Bukidnon Rep. Neric Acosta, Bukidnon Rep. Teofisto “TG” Guingona, Akbayan Rep. Risa Hontiveros-Baraquel, former Sen. and Neda Secretary Ralph Recto, and Sonia Roco of Aksyon-Demokratiko.

In a message formally accepting the LP senatorial slot, Lim wrote: “With profound gratitude, great humility and deep awareness of the responsibility, I am extremely honored to have been included in the historic slate of Liberal Party’s senatorial candidates.”

“I will not stand by and watch this great country destroy itself under mediocre leadership that drifts from one crisis to the next, eroding our national will and purpose. The Filipino people deserve better from those to whom they can entrust our nation’s highest offices and we stand united in our resolve to do something about it,” he added.


Source: http://www.tribune.net.ph/headlines/20091121hed1.html

No comments:

Post a Comment