Friday, November 20, 2009

Sotto quits to become a senator once more


DANGEROUS Drugs Board chairman Vicente Sotto III yesterday resigned to join the senatorial race in the 2010 polls, saying he remains loyal to his party.

“I have resigned my post as DDB chairman and I would run for Senate under the Nationalist People’s Coalition,” Sotto told Standard Today in a telephone interview.

“If you will remember, I was with the NPC in 2007 which has a coalition with the administration and that is why I ran under the Team Unity. I have no intention of leaving NPC,” Sotto said.

Sotto said he is not troubled by NPC having no standard bearer because the party enters a coalition with another group with a full slate.

“It doesn’t matter to me if we have no presidential candidate. It’s clear to me what I want to do,” Sotto said.

Sotto, a former senator, said he decided to take another crack at politics to push his advocacy against illegal drugs.

“For almost a year and a half, I have noticed first hand the difficulties faced by the PDEA [Philippine Drug Enforcement Agency] and the DDB because of some provisions of the law.”

Sotto said amendments were needed to add teeth to the Comprehensive Dangerous Drugs Act of 2002.

“According to statistics, about 70 percent of the cases being tried by the courts are minor drug cases, leading to clogged dockets.” Roy Pelovello


Source: http://www.manilastandardtoday.com/insideMetro.htm?f=2009/november/20/metro4.isx&d=/2009/november/20

No comments:

Post a Comment