Saturday, November 28, 2009

Villar bares NP senatorial lineup


(The Philippine Star) Updated November 29, 2009 12:00 AM


Senatorial candidate Susan Ople is sworn in as member of Nacionalista Party by NP standard bearer Sen. Manuel Villar while Ferdinand ‘Bongbong’ Marcos Jr. (lower photo) files his certificate of candidacy for senator also under NP at the Comelec office in Intramuros, Manila yestreday.








MANILA, Philippines - Nacionalista Party standard bearer Sen. Manuel Villar Jr. yesterday bared his party’s list of senatorial candidates.

With only two days left before the end of the filing of certificates of candidacy with the Commission on Elections (Comelec), Villar said the slate is almost complete with the inclusion of retired Col. Ariel Querubin and Gwen Pimentel, daughter of Senate minority leader Aquilino Pimentel Jr.

Also included in the NP Senate slate are lawyer Adel Tamano, Toots Ople, Ilocos Norte Rep. Ferdinand “BongBong” Marcos, re-electionist Sen. Pia Cayetano, and Senators Miriam Defensor Santiago and Ramon “Bong” Revilla Jr., the last two as guest candidates.

Villar remains optimistic of getting support from Bayan Muna Rep. Satur Ocampo and Gabriela’s Liza Maza, although the two have announced that they will be running as independent senatorial candidates because they are against having Marcos Jr. in the same senatorial line-up.

“It’s almost complete. We are just finalizing the details on some who are joining us,” Villar said.

Villar is reportedly talking with Metro Manila Development Authority (MMDA) chairman Bayani Fernando and former Sen. Vicente “Tito” Sotto to become part of the NP slate.

“We are friends with Bayani Fernando. I am not prepared to announce anything today. My policy is to give them leeway to initiate the announcement of their decision to join us in our party,” Villar said in an interview after attending the retirement Mass for Querubin at Camp Aguinaldo in Quezon City.

Even though Fernando has yet to formally take oath as NP member, reports showed that a significant number of his local leaders have signed up with the party.

Querubin, meantime, gained prominence after a seven-hour stand-off at Fort Bonifacio during the alleged coup plot against President Arroyo in February 2006.

“I am running to restore the honor and dignity of every Filipino through meaningful legislation that could positively impact their lives. I am running to make my lifetime worthwhile, that every moment left of it, will be dedicated in the service of my country, which I love very much and will continue to love unconditionally for as long as I shall live,” Querubin said in his speech after the Mass.

“I end my military career knowing that I leave it in good hands. It was an honor to have served this Armed Forces, home of many of the greatest, most selfless Filipinos I’ve known,” Querubin said.

Among Querubin’s numerous exploits include the neutralization of the notorious Abu Sabaya, the capture of Camp John Mack, and the liberation of the municipality of Kauswagan, Lanao del Norte.

Querubin, who continues to face mutiny charges, along with fellow officer and also senatorial bet Brig. Gen. Danilo Lim, who is running under Liberal Party (LP), has a masters degree in Defense Studies from the University of Canberra in Australia.

The NP will have a proclamation rally at 5 p.m. today at the Macario Sakay Public Park at the corner of Moriones and Quesada Streets in Tondo, Manila.

Villar and his running-mate Sen. Loren Legarda are filing their certificates of candidacy tomorrow.

Bongbong files COC

Ferdinand “Bongbong” Marcos Jr. filed yesterday his certificate of candidacy for senator under Villar’s Nacionalista Party.

“I will run for senator. I strongly believe that I can contribute greatly as a senator especially on issues involving the economy. We need a genuine change in government. A new government and a new leadership that would seriously uplift the lives of the Filipino people,” said Bongbong, who was accompanied by his sister Aimee.

Facing media, the 52-year-old Bongbong was hounded by questions regarding his father and namesake, former President Ferdinand Marcos.

“I don’t think of policy in terms of what my father did and didn’t do. The problems that the Philippines is facing now are different from those during the time of my father,” he said.

Asked how different he is from his father, he replied: “I don’t make that comparison. I look at a problem as it exists in front of me. I look at a situation as it exists today and that’s how I approach problem solving.”

“There seems to be this assumption that my name is becoming a hindrance. I am very proud and I feel very lucky to be a Marcos. The fact that my name is Ferdinand Marcos has been nothing but advantageous to my entire political career. I consider myself to be lucky to be born of remarkable parents and public servants,” he added.

He vowed to push for reforms in education and the economy and to fight graft and corruption. – With Jaime Laude, Sheila Crisostomo


Source: http://www.philstar.com/Article.aspx?articleId=527820&publicationSubCategoryId=63

No comments:

Post a Comment